I recently engaged in a 14-day trial of Ancestry.com's offerings of genealogical information. For me, filling out my family tree was pretty simple. I had to only go up two or three generations before the computer found my ancestors and linked them into a large family tree.
I had some pleasant surprises while doing this. There's a feature where one can retrieve a list of famous relatives, and mine list left me feeling quite proud for a person who hasn't really done anything remarkable herself.
I found out I'm a 17th Great Granddaughter of Geoffrey Chaucer. I also found out this line connects me with another of his descendants, Jane Austen, who is a cousin I'm seven generations removed from. Other literary cousins include: Henry David Thoreau, D.H. Lawrence, John Steinbeck, and Aldous Huxley.
Other notables? 11th Great Grandaughter of Miles Standish (Mayflower passenger and signer of the Mayflower Compact). Also distant cousins of five first ladies (Pierce, Roosevelt, Garfield, Hoover, and Eisenhower) and others: Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn, Frank Lloyd Wright, Eli Whitney, Philo T. Farnsworth, J.P. Morgan, and William C. Durrant. (Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.org)

3 comments:
Now you've got me wanting to go and look and see who my famous ancestors are... but I'm not willing to risk having to end up paying money to play with ancestry.com. I hate submitting my details to the "try one week get one free" kind of deals, cause they never never never stop sending you stuff, no matter if you stop them or not... I'm jealous! Look at you be connected to random famous people! LOL. *sigh*
That is so cool! Unfortunately it is a lot harder for me to trace my ancestry since 2 generations back it is in China, but I love genealogy. Dave did his family tree once and it showed that he is a descendant of Alexander Hamilton (the founding father).
That's awesome about Hamilton. Maybe that's why Dave's a "political junkie"--it runs in the family!
Post a Comment