Our second full day in Hawaii we drove on the road to Hana. This is a journey drive, not a destination drive: the drive is the entire point of the day. This road goes along the coastline of the northwestern part of the island and weaves in and out, going over many streams and waterfalls, and exposing us to the lush, green side of Maui.
We started out early to beat the traffic, although it was pretty uncrowded the whole way. We stopped early on the drive to do a hike/adventure to the Four Waterfalls. This was a little crazier than expected. The trail was nice and muddy, and the bamboo was thick (we had some tight squeezes). Most of the hikers we saw gave up and turned around, but we were determined to do it. I was just glad that there weren't any dangerous creatures lurking around in that crazy forest! There are a lot of crazy alternate trails running everywhere, so we probably didn't go exactly the right way, but we saw some beautiful waterfalls in the process, even though we were probably on the wrong side of the stream and the river was a little high and fast to cross (I think there had been recent heavy rains because the waterfall water was a little murky).
After our hike, we stopped at the Keanae Arboretum. Kevin and I are members of the Red Butte Arboretum here in Utah, and we love looking at plants whether desert or tropical. This was a fun, short little stroll even though it sprinkled on us a little. We had the whole place to ourselves, basically, and the vegetation was beautiful.

3 comments:
Those are amazing plants. And I was waiting to read about you and Kevin hardcore hiking at some point... glad to see it happened on the 2nd day! :)
Gorgeous... I'm getting more and more jealous by the minute!
That top photo is stunning. A truly gorgeous vista. Hawaii is one of the few states I have not been in. Thanks for sharing.
Douglas Cootey
☆ The Splintered Mind
Post a Comment