Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Winter Book Review

Because I spent years studying Early Modern British Literature in graduate school (that’s 1500-1800 for those of you who’d like to get specific), for a long time I had neglected contemporary fiction. What’s more, my undergraduate survey classes really didn’t help me keep up with the most current literature, either, and for that I’ll place slight blame the disconnect and slow-paced nature of the shining ivory tower of academia.

This week I went out to lunch with a friend, Rosi, who I truly admire for her free spirit and unique artistic insights into the world. As we sat in Squatters Brewery eating hummus, between a roaring fire and windows that revealed a raging, blowing snow storm, we talked about the novels that we’ve most recently read that have stayed our psyches since we’ve closed the cover. I came away from that meeting with a new list of must-reads that I feel an urgency to get to.

I thought I’d share with you three contemporary novels I’ve read this winter that have meant a lot to me. All of them have met me with mystery and familiarity, with family and with warmth. I’ve been immersed in them, and I’ve become a part of their stories.

The first is Peace Like a River. Someone lent this to me, but I didn’t pick it up for several months. By the time I started falling in love with this book, I forgot who had introduced me to it. I made calls to family members and friends, all of whom had never heard of it, before I finally asked Rachel, who was the elusive benefactress. Leif Enger, the author, is a writer on NPR, and I’ve enjoyed his short pieces. This novel tells of a family whose son has become an outlaw, but through their bonds and determination, the father and remaining two children experience unexpected miracles and beauty in their journey to find the prodigal son. It’s a relatively clean and benign piece, and I love the narrative told through eleven-year-old Reuben and the enchantment he finds with the American West, even in the 20th century.

The second is The Magician’s Assistant by Ann Patchett. She’s famous for Bel Canto, which is now on my reading list. My father-in-law gave me The Magician’s Assistant for Christmas, and I started reading it that day. It’s a wonderful real-human story of a woman who married her gay stage partner after performing with him for 20 odd years. She then lived with him and his partner, nursing them in their illnesses until both passed away. The story begins with the aftermath of her husband’s death, and her discovery of his past. The tolerance, the forgiveness, and the real human emotion were astounding to me in this unique family drama. In addition, this story drives itself. I thought I was barely into this novel when I realized I was over half way through. The ending left me very satisfied and warm, but I had a hard time shaking the story and preparing myself for something totally new.

The third is my current read, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It’s a great piece that takes place in Barcelona, Spain. So far it’s a bit of a bildungsroman, told from the point of view of an eleven-year-old boy who is enchanted by books, novels, writing, and appreciates their mystery but soon falls prey to typical adolescent fears and desires. It’s sensual, mysterious, and insightful for those of us who find magic in a story each time it’s told. And I love reading something that takes place in Europe, and the closeness that those countries and cultures have to each other. I did all my grading last night for my night class so that I can devote my entire evening to immersing myself back into this novel when I get home today.

What about you? What have been your recent amazing novels?

9 comments:

Stina said...

Thanks for those great suggestions, Alisa. I will definitely look into them for future reading material.

One of my favorite novels is Bel Canto, so I'm glad you have that on your list. The most recent novel that I can remember where I couldn't put it down was The Time Traveler's Wife. I actually brought it with me to work to read during my lunch break when I was in the middle of it. Another novel I liked recently was Prep.

And of course the Twilight series, which I know you have already read. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. :) I haven't been reading too many novels recently. I wonder if you might not like "Mrs. Mike," though. It's not modern or contemporary, but it's one of my favourites, and despite the blurb on the cover that it's "a tender love story," it SO isn't! lol. I've actually been reading Dickens's Christmas books in my spare time recently. Not very contemporary either... hehe. As you know, I love Madeleine L'Engle's books, and re-read "Troubling a Star" over the holidays. That's a great one, as is "A Ring of Endless Light." Actually, I can almost say "A Ring of Endless Light" is close to one of my favourites. I think if you read it, combined with what you know about my past, you'd probably understand why. :) I'm going to have to start keeping a list of things that people recommend and try them out. Oh... what was it called... there was an adolescent book recently, I think it's called "The Kite Rider." I quite liked it, though it was a bit strange. The one about the kid in China who, well, rides kites. :) I don't remember what else I've read recently...

Rachel said...

My next recommendations include:

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

and

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Tracy said...

Dster gave me the Magician's Assistant as well. I'm really excited to read it. Have you read the Mermaid Chair yet? It's another one of Dsters.

Alisa said...

How did you like it? What's it about?

Brooke said...

Have you heard of GoodReads.com? It is a cool site where you can log books you've read (with reviews) and books you'd like to read. You can connect to friends and get their recommendations, too.

Anonymous said...

Have you read "The Secret Life of Bees"? I loved it. Tracy's recommendation of the "Mermaid's Chair" is by the same author. I read that one too, but didn't care for it as much.

Alisa said...

I really want to read the Secret Life of Bees. Anyone up for lending it to me?

Brooke, I just joined Great Reads, but I'm a little overwhelmed. Maybe you can show me how to get around and find my friends on it?

Anonymous said...

I read "The Secret Life of Bees" today (yes, all today. LOL.) It was good. Reminds me of Fannie Flagg's "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl." I'll lend it to you... but you'll have to come here to visit and I'll just have to keep renewing it at the library til you get here. ;)