This weekend Kevin put in our digital converter boxes. Yes, our TVs have rabbit ears as we don't watch enough TV to justify a cable bill. Those rabbit ears look good with our Atari 2600.
So far, things look pretty good. We're getting occasional pixelation and glitches, but that goes away quickly. We're also getting four BYU channels, four KUED, and three UEN. So it looks like we'll get plenty of the public television, which is about 50% of what we watch anyway during the 1-2 hours a week the TV is on.
We're counting our blessing because our neighbors have had some trouble getting any picture to show with the new converter boxes. They get "no signal" all the time. The only thing I don't like is that we have to change channels through the converter box but we have power through the TV. So we have five remotes: converter box, TV, DVD, VCR, and stereo. That's going make for a lumpy couch once the remotes find their way to their natural home between the cushions.

11 comments:
To quote Bob Dylan,
Times, they are a-changin.
I love the rabbit ears! I never would have even noticed that they were anything unusual if you hadn't pointed them out. They're great! :)
When we come for Christmas, Gavin can program everything into one remote control for you, if you would like.
congrats on the upgrade! :) we are are always glad to share our cable with you for political and sports related commentary.
we don't even have a VCR anymore! (we realized this when we got some 2nd hand tapes as baby gifts!)
Congratulations on getting ready for the big change. Do you remember that commercial that was on TV about 10 years ago where the little girl was surprised that her grandpa didn't have to pay for TV when he was young. It is scary how that has almost become a reality.
I know what you mean about remotes. It seams like they always go missing, and the more you have the more time you have to spend looking. My biggest problem is that the kids usually walk off with them and that makes the finding part even more of a chore. I was glad when we were able to put almost everthing to one remote.
Welcome to the world of multiple remotes!
That is awesome! :) Ryan bought us a universal remote so we don't have 5 remotes which is nice, but it always glows at me when I come into the house or walk by it. It is kinda creepy.
I am SO embarrassed to admit this, but I have NO idea what you are talking about.
Mark and I got rid of cable a few months ago and we have the rabbit ears now, too.
Is there some kind of TV holocaust coming that I need to prepare for?
(we use the TV for movies and Rock Band. That's about it. Sometimes PBS or The Office.)
Anyway, can you link me in the right direction? Do I need a converter box? How much do they cost?
I think I will be very grateful for your post after I figure this out. . .
Hi Jessica, congrats on making the switch off cable! But yeah, you need to get a converter. If you go here: http://www.kued.org/?area=digital you can read all about getting ready for digital TV. In February 2009, analog TV will be dead. Through that link you can register for vouchers. The government is givng $20 vouchers (which is about 50% off the converter box price), and you can have 2 vouchers per household. Sign up for them soon because they take a couple of weeks to arrive.
cable is good but free ty is better we have satlaitte tv for years and still have some old rabbit ears tv can remember when they were only 6 channels
I'm getting frustrated with our extra remotes too. It takes me 4 remotes to record a show with the VCR, because I have to put the TV to channel 3, hit the TV/VCR source button, switch to the VCR remote to program the time, turn the digital box to the right station with its remote, then adjust the amplifier with a fourth remote. What a pain!
Post a Comment