Monday, November 24, 2008

These Roses Know What They're Doing

This week I am aspiring to be what I've been wanting to be: a woman of leisure. I took off work and it feels wonderful! I spent the morning in the warm sunshine seriously cutting back my roses for the winter.

As I knelt down with each of my 16 rose bushes today, I couldn't help feel a little apprehensive with all this cutting away. It was a tangly, thorny job. Thank goodness the garbage man came in the middle of my pruning because I filled the garbage can twice. I almost didn't get the first full garbage can to the curb while the truck rumbled down my street, but had to go running down my 80-foot driveway with an awkwardly full can crying, "Wait! I have garbage!"

I'm told that roses love nothing more than to be cut back, that essentially my hacking away at them down to the wood today will make them blossom even more come June. Taking a break myself this week, I couldn't agree with them more.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Did you call them trash eating stink bags?

You're roses are very pretty. I hope you are enjoying your week as a women of leisure.

Stina said...

Good for you for taking a break! I love to have your company! Yay for leisure!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I was right about you being yellow all day instead of green! :) :) I'm so glad you've got the week off. And that you get to spend it in your garden. And I'm giggling at the image of you hauling butt down your driveway with the rubbish bin in tow... :-D