Thursday, December 11, 2008

Joshua Tree in SLC

Ever driven across the desert on I-15 between the Arizona canyon and Las Vegas? Have you seen the Joshua trees? I guess they're all over the Southwest and even in Northern California, but they're certainly scarce here. While they grow in St. George, they don't even make it up to Cedar City's frigid altitudes. But we have one here in the SLC.

I disovered this Joshua tree a couple years ago on a lunchtime walk, but it took me this long to get a picture. It's not a great picture taken in the dark, and the xeriscape looks so strange contrasted with the Temple Square trees behind it (side note: horses!). I've adopted this tree as a fish out of water. Do you know of any others on the Wasatch Front?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool. I can't remember the last time I saw a Joshua tree, if I've ever seen one.

paulsharol said...

they have the Joshua tree mom between Kingman and Phs and if you drive down I15 to Nipton to Searchlight there are a whole bunch of them neat to see in Slc

Alisa said...

Aunt Sharol/Uncle Paul, at first I thought those were SLC placed that I've never heard of, then I realized they must be out in Nevada! I heard people are stealing wilderness Joshua trees out there, and with fires too it's really getting to be a problem.

T. McArthur said...

Very rare in Northern Utah.

Mammamia said...

I love Joshua trees. They remind me of road trips and home and staring out the window watching them pass by while pondering life. Funny, I haven't thought about them for a long, long time. Definitely don't see them out here in CT. I'm glad you posted about this. Nostalgia is fun sometimes.