Atticus is now four months old! I've never noticed so many changes in him as the ones this last month brought, so I'm writing a few down for my benefit before I forget this awesome stage of his babyhood. Perhaps it's because it was my first month back at work, but he seemed to grow up so fast this month. He is now a strong, interactive, and vocal baby, and he made his first trip into my office to see where I work and who I talk to while I'm away from him. He spent so many hours there in the womb, it's like coming to a second home.
One of his favorite things to do is to stand up with our support. He loves to look down and stomp his feet, smiling as he takes these little steps (but we imagine he's happy because he's thinking of smashing things). At times like this, we call him The Smasher.
I love how his big belly hangs out in this picture.
He now can push off of things and flip over unexpectedly, although he doesn't turn over on purpose much. I'm always surprised when he turns around in his crib 180 degrees. He's now found his left thumb, which helps soothe him since he's been teething. He loves to grab anything nearby, and most of that goes into his mouth. Unfortunately for me, that's often a big handful of my hair.
He has been more cooperative lately, and never cries when he gets his nasty vitamin drops anymore. He also can sit up in a supportive baby chair. That's nice because he is heavy at almost 15 pounds, nearly double his birth weight.
Atticus loves to laugh. He seems to be in on subtle jokes - maybe he can see the smile in his parents eyes and knows something is funny. His giggle is a cute little cackle, and he loves having his belly tickled. It's amazing how it can boost my self-esteem to have this little guy think I am so comedic. He loves attention and smiles and coos when we talk to him, even from across the room. He also likes to calm down and be quiet and snuggle right next to my neck. It's a great time of contrasts and wonderful to see him expressing a range of emotion and action.
He went on his first hike this Memorial Day at Big Springs in Provo Canyon, but he pretty much slept through the whole thing. I figure it's good to start him in the wilderness early, even if only his unconscious mind knows he's there.
And what seems like the biggest transition: his doctor says he's now ready for us to introduce foods to him. That surprised me, because I thought six months was the new recommendation, but his doctor believes that if we wait too long to introduce common allergy foods, the delay may cause allergies. Something about a magic window. Because I am afraid of making mistakes, I'm looking into it on academic sites, but there's more - an emotional quality to this transition. For the first time in over a year of his life, including gestation, I won't be his sole source of nourishment. While I hate pumping, I found that I love breastfeeding. Of course I'll continue to do both, but eating new foods is just the first sign that Atticus is getting ready to grow up and become a little more independent. *Sigh.* I suppose it's only the first sign of many more. So many more.

4 comments:
Hold on to these moments, they grow soo fast.
You have such a beautiful family.
He is sooo cute and getting so big! We waited awhile before introducing solids so it is an individual decision. Good luck and have fun!
He is getting so big. It is good to write these things down. It all happens so quickly sometimes it's hard to remeber.
I have always started my kids on cereal at 4 months until Valerie. Then my doctor told me that they now suggest 6 months. I think I started her at 5 months. She was hungry and needed more. If I did it agian I would have started her at 4. Cereal makes them so much happier.
Magic window, shmagic shmindow. Give him food when he's ready for it. He'll start grabbing at what you're eating (as I'm sure you've read) and will be happy to try anything you put in his mouth - he eats blankets for cryin' out loud! Good luck. And just so you know, EVERY stage is going to be your favorite. Someone I didn't like very much told me that and I kind of liked her better after I found out it was true.
Post a Comment