Monday, November 13, 2006

November

I relish the way the autumn air in the Wasatch Front blows down from the canyons and makes the air in my yard smell like the mountains.

In autumn, I like to I take inventory of my life, and I feel it is a time for letting things go, such as unnecessary stress, political games, and anything that doesn't feel as comfortable as coming home. On the other hand, it's time I make resolutions, and I have decided to meet my challenges upfront on the job, in my church service, and with my friendships.


Chesler Park at dusk

Reluctance
Robert Frost: A Boy's Will

Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow,
When others are sleeping.

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question 'Whither?'

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... and the nip in the air that says "Fall is HERE..." And the first snowfall... and the smell of rain in the trees. I know what you mean, my dear! Challenges are always fun. Or, well, they should be, I suppose. :) I'm sure you'll figure yours out.

Anonymous said...

and the plundering pine tree in all its magnificance is a tall grassy figure