Sunday, September 02, 2007

Days 5 and 6: North Shore

Going to the North Shore of Oahu was my favorite part of our vacation. My brother and sister-in-law had recommended spending a day on the North Shore, and I'm so glad we did. This place was so great for what Kevin and I love about Hawaii that we decided to come back the second day and basically do everything all over again! So that's why I'm combining these two posts together--the only difference is that the second day my sunburn was so bad (see pictures below) that I wore a shirt and shorts the whole day, and we did a lot less swimming.


This day couldn't have gone more perfectly. We started off by going to a bakery in Haleiwa and then snorkeling at Shark's Cove. I'll post underwater pictures from that later. We then drove past the Beach Boys-famed Waiamea Bay (where in the winter the waves measure 20 feet from the back--that's 40 feet from the front) and went to Sunset Beach, which is our favorite beach. We snorkeled and swam a bit there and then returned to Haleiwa for lunch and delicious shaved ice. One thing we noticed about the North Shore are these stickers, "Keep the country country," which essentially means that they don't want to ruin the lax feeling of the North Shore by building a bunch of uppity resorts. And I think this remote, relaxed feeling, this private beach feeling, is what made Kevin and I love this place so much.


After lunch, we headed to "turtle beach," where the water is a bit more shallow, the water a bit more algae-like, and where sea turtles love to congregate. We saw one on the shore and about seven in the water as we snorkeled around. They're a threatened species, so we couldn't touch them, but we could go right up to them and sit next to them and they didn't mind! The only concern of mine was that a big wave would push one into me.


After turtle beach we decided to grab some picnic dinner at the supermarket--a baguette, pre-sliced meat and cheese, Coke, and an Asian salad--and then head to Ted's Bakery for some famous coconut chocolate cream pie to eat on Sunset beach inbetween wave jumping and watching the sun go down.













3 comments:

Stina said...

Great pictures! I love the one with the dog (of course). Aren't picnics the best on vacation? It is so much cheaper and more romantic than eating at a restaurant.

Alisa said...

I agree. The picnic was definitely one of my favorite meals there. I'm also glad you liked the surfing dog picture. I was thinking about you when I included it.

Anonymous said...

Aw. I'm getting more and more jealous by the day, and poorer and poorer! LOLOL. It looks like you had a fabulous time. Except for the coconut chocolate cream pie. Yuck. I hate coconut. :) Leave that out and it would have been just fine...