Friday, May 16, 2008

How I Love Martin Luther

I have the right to believe freely. To be a slave to no man's authority. If this be heresy, so be it. It is still the truth. To go against conscience is neither right nor safe. I cannot--will not--recant. Here I stand: no man can command my conscience.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) He did do some pretty amazing things.

Unknown said...

his conviction, and so many like him who forged unpopular paths, give me greater ability to see my own convictions.

Jessica Steed said...

I love that image.
NPR was talking about the memorial for MLK, it sounded like there was some controversy over the statue's design. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Chelle said...

I love that quote!

LuckyMatt said...

Agency has been a pet study topic of mine for the better part of a year now. I think I spent most of my life not really comprehending how essential, and how big, a gift our agency is. Ultimately, everything of value in life hinges on our agency.

Nice quote!

Alisa said...

Nice thoughts, Matt. How does inner conviction and drive play into agency? What if something is so forcefully true to one's intuition: Does agency exist for them if they cannot force their minds to believe any other way? I guess there are two worlds I'm talking about, the interna one, and the external one. In this sense, Martin Luther used an inner conviction to act out against the Catholic Church. But I'd be interested in where he exercised agency--of course he had the agency to object against his church because he actually did object, and suffered the consequences of his choice as an agent unto himself.