Saturday, September 13, 2008

Red Foothills

I spent the morning hiking the trails east of Red Butte Garden. While there is a surprising amount of flowers blooming, I can also detect the earliest signs of autumn in the foothills.

I am excited for the new season, but I also feel the need to store up the pleasures of summer against the approaching season. Things to keep (even if only in a feeling of a memory) from this summer: sunlight, nighttime crickets, long drives and road trips, good books, watercolors, and of course photos of flowers and gardens to mark my first year of devotion to growing things.

What will you store from this summer?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sun, sun, and more sun! lol. Seriously. But I have to say that after 4 years of having rain all winter, I'm looking forward to the odd snow storm! And I love autumn... so I'm as likely to store up memories of the turning colours as I am of summer sunshine just now.

Stina said...

I felt like I was in a time warp when I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. When I went in, it was still scorching hot and definitely August. When I left (literally had not been outside for 10 days) it was a beautiful autumn September day. I feel robbed of the changing of the seasons but am enjoying the nice cool weather now. I don't know what the point of this comment is, but your post just invited me to write out this thought.

Alisa said...

Heidi, yes! Welcome back to four seasons. Should I crank up the Vivaldi?

Stina, I actually know a little bit of what you mean. Working in a windowless basement can make the day and the seasons go by without my realizing it, which is why posts like this help me cognitavely realize, "Hey! It's going to be fall!" I think we still have time to watch summer turn to autumn. My yard is still full of so many flowers from summer, even roses!

Hillary said...

I love this time of year when most of the leaves are still green but there is a hint of color mixed in on the hilside. Fall is my favorite time of year.

paulsharol said...

loved Red Butte the flowers are always in bloom tks

Shell said...

I will store up all the green! It was a really raining spring which made things nice and green through June. I loved all the flowers. I really like the picture you took of the leaves!

Unknown said...

colors and feelings, first loves and old friends, new adventures and smelling blossoms....


and our great chats and paintings!