Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Outdoor Lights

This year we cut down our juniper tree on the left side of our house, which is good for all reasons except that we can't put Christmas lights on it anymore. Sure, I love junipers in the desert. In fact, I'm all about changing Utah's state tree to the juniper (our state tree is the Colorado blue spruce--yes, it has another state's name in it, although we usually leave that part out). But despite my love for the juniper, I'd like them to stay in the desert and out of my yard.

I think Kevin did a great job with the lights, especially on the gnarly hibernating trumpet vine. We're experimenting with the blue LEDs this year. Also note those very clipped rose bushes along the driveway.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

I love the blue LEDs. I think they are such a pretty color. Probably my favorite out of all of the Christmas lights. And, your roses do look very nice trimmed back. :)

Stina said...

We got LEDs this year too! I love how they look. Did you guys purposely do a patriotic theme to your lights?

Jenny and Al said...

Hey, they look awesome! Tell Kevin good job.

Anonymous said...

Purty. :)

Anonymous said...

So where do you stand on the LED lights? While I love the cost saving concept, I'm not sure the look it same.

Alisa said...

Christina, I hadn't thought of that, but they do look a little patriotic. The goldish ones and the fire-colored ones are both fancy lights Kevin likes to get from Modern Display. He has a thing for good combos. We've even had to hand-make the right combo to multiple strings of lights for Christmases past.

Rachel, I really like these blue ones. They're a lighter blue than some that I've seen. Some LEDs are so dark that they remind me of black lights or flourescent lights, and I don't like those as much. The more they mimic the regular ones, the more I like them.

paulsharol said...

Grandma McArthur had a tree one year with just blue lights it was beautiful the tree in their back yard was a blue spruce

Hillary said...

It looks great. I am a big fan of the blue LED lights. We have had some red LED's the last two years on our house. They always took a few minutes to warm up, but then they were great. We decided to do LED's on our tree this year and so far I like it.