Sunday, February 03, 2008

Bedroom Remodel

Because we're in our first house, Kevin and I know relatively little about home improvement projects. That was actually one of our criteria when buying a home--that it didn't need any immediate updates. But after only a short while spent in our pale-green bedroom with smoky blue/teal carpet and yellow curtains, I knew that we needed a change.

The first update we made was to get rid of all the curtains in our bedroom and throughout the rest of the upstairs. In our bedroom we put Hunter Douglas blinds, and I love the pulley system to change the direction (versus a wand that is twisted).

That was over a year ago, and we have slowly been moving toward a completed goal. Earlier this fall, we moved our bedroom out into the living room area so we could paint the room a lovely "toasted wheat" color with a white matte ceiling. We ripped up the carpet, padding, and floorboards, and we hired someone to come and sand and seal our floors. We chose to not stain the oak boards because we knew we were going to buy a dark pine wood bedroom set from Ikea, and wanted our floors to have a light, natural feel to contrast. We then purchased said bedroom set, and I spent the weekend after Thanksgiving putting it all together (the two six-drawer dressers were definitely the most time consuming). Just last week, we finally picked up the quilt cover and lamps for our bedside tables, and the picture is almost complete.


Update: Here is a picture of our bedroom as it was decorated under the previous owner of our home:

And here's our bedroom now:



There are still a few touches left to do:

  • Replace the light fixture with new ceiling fan
  • Find desirable area rug
  • Find small baskets or canvas boxes for bottom shelf of bedside tables
  • Find dark wood wall shelves to place our nature photography on

What can I say? I'm glad that even though it's taken time, Kevin and I have actually finished a project (well, almost). It's a lot of work. I can see why there's a business for interior decorators.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks stunning! Opens the room up, too, it seems... brighter and happier and more fresh, eh? :)

Stina said...

I'm so glad you got your hands on the new red cover! It looks great in the room and I still love all the furniture and colors you guys chose. I am in the midst of our bathroom addition and am so jealous that you are almost completed with your project. Good job!

paulsharol said...

we have a blue quilt we are in the process of painting our celing a midnight blue then putting up glow stars that reflect at night we have the planets now so its fun love the red quilt

Brooke said...

Looks great! Doesn't it feel good to make a space your own?

Hillary said...

Your room looks really nice. I like the bedroom furniture.

Rachel said...

I love the way the room is coming together. It looks more like you and Kevin

Shell said...

Alisa, I love your wood floor! And your furniture/bedding looks so nice. Mike and I had the same criteria as you in buying a house every time we've bought one. No major renovations. Of course this current house we want to change a lot. Like the tile. I think it's totally funny that the color you hated in your bedroom is the color I painted my kitchen. (at least it looks like it) I totally freaked out when I saw how different colored paint makes things look. Now I'm used to it. Painting is such a pain! Good job!!

Jenny and Al said...

Love the new set, Doo! You definitely have more taste and style than I will ever have. ~Jenny