Friday, February 29, 2008

Pie Month

Happy Leap Day, everyone! Today marks a celebrated day for me. It's one out of every four years that Pie Month is extended by one day at Marie Calendar's. This is a good thing. Without this extra day, I would have missed out on one more pie.

Kevin and I have always loved Marie Calendar's pies. That was one of the worst things about living in Utah County for years--they don't have a single Marie Calendar's location, and we were constantly tortured every Pie Month when we saw the TV commercials. Now Pie Month is a celebration of living in wonderful Salt Lake County.

I love pie. For many years, I've requested a pie instead of a birthday cake. In his family tradition, Kevin makes a wonderful pastry pie crust, and a deliciously stunning key lime pie. And the list of my favorite pies has grown. It's almost embarrassing, but Kevin and I have had eight, yes eight pies in this, the shortest month of the year. And each one has been so memorable. In order:

  • Lemon cream cheese
  • Kahlua cream cheese
  • Razzleberry
  • Double lemon cream
  • German chocolate
  • Cherry
  • Razzleberry
  • Kahlua cream cheese (tonight's pie of choice)


This is our last pie until a new Pie Month rolls around in October. By then we'll have saved up enough tins to get our own free pie. Here are all the official Marie Calendar's pie tins we've saved, which we can cash in for 50 cents each:


It may look crazy, but there are worse pie lovers out there. The woman behind us tonight had what looked like 30 pie tins. That's hard core. I just admired her pie-eating skills so much. So next Pie Month, if you see me rummaging through your trash to salvage your discarded pie tin, you'll know why.

7 comments:

Stina said...

I loved hearing about you and Kevin indulging in pie this month. And to have it extended one more day this year - bliss! If we ever get a pie we will save our tin for you.

paulsharol said...

we love the Marie Callander pies we like key lime pie

Anonymous said...

hee! That made me grin so much. I don't know why, but it's a really funny post to me, all about pie, cause pie is GOOD!!! The secret life of pie... :) It gets eaten by you and Kev! So it's not really a life. Maybe it's the secret death of pie. Hehe. My niece is absolutely gorgeous, by the way. Even better looking in real life. Seriously! I'm not just saying that.

Shell said...

Alisa, how do you stay so thin? I seriously gain a pound if i eat the tiniest bit of anything fattening. It must be your genes....Mike is so skinny to. I'm glad you get to enjoy it!

Amy said...

Ooh, I never realized Marie Callender's had a pie month twice a year. I may (or may not) need to let Brian know about this!

Anonymous said...

Loved your post. It made my mouth smile and my stomach growl. Glad you did your part to keep MC in business. Here's to indulging in October!

Alisa said...

I'm not sure, but I think they may have Pie Month three times a year. Possibly in June? Mmmmm. I hope so.