Friday, February 01, 2008

Good, Happy Things

It's a new month, and I've been wanting to post on a few random, very happy things in my life. The first is my dear Aunt Voni and Uncle Len. I received this picture from Voni in the last week or so, and I have been keeping it on my desktop because it makes me so happy. They live out of state, and I hardly ever get to see them. In fact, they have yet to "meet" Kevin in real life. They are two amazing people, he with a PhD, a love for bears (bears always remind me of him), and an interesting resume as researcher, academic professor/dean, and entrepreneur. Voni has the bio to match: master's degree, English teacher, social worker, massage therapist and energy worker. They enjoy ideas, good food, and great discussion, three things that I also love, and I feel like despite the generation gap, we connect on a multitude of levels. I miss them terribly, but I want them to know I'm thinking of them and love them.

On a lighter note, yesterday I received a package containing the dress for which I've been searching for a couple of years. I know that a nice black dress is the staple of every woman's wardrobe, but despite all my attempts, I could never find the one that had the versatile mix of casual and formal, as well as sexy and modest that I needed. I have always loved the jersey dress look, and I finally found this dress on BlueFly by designer BCBGMAXAZRIA. I tried it on first thing last night and have success!


The last item I wanted to post on were these flowers. I love this picture from Brooke. There's something about the photography that makes my soul a little warmer. And today I have a special reason to celebrate. Pink is the color for breast cancer, and after a breast cancer scare this week following my annual checkup, everything has checked out completely normal. I had great support from Kevin and coworkers. I just want to tell all the wonderful women in my life to stay healthy and take care of yourselves.


6 comments:

Hillary said...

You're aunt and uncle look nice. I had no idea you were going through that. I am glad that everything is ok.

Shell said...

Yikes Alisa, It's a good thing I read your blog to find out about your life. Sorry you had a scare. Nice Dress!

Anonymous said...

Lis... you didn't tell me?? I'm SOOOO glad you are OK. We need to talk sometime soon. You've disappeared today though, so I can't see you. :) Stress of that kind is no fun.
Your aunt and uncle look like Mr. and Mrs. Santa. :) I mean that in the nicest way possible... they look like jolly, lovely people, with great senses of humour and great love for each other. I think your uncle's beard helps. :)
And fabulous that you found the dress you've been looking for! I remember you talking about dress shopping a while back, when we were chatting online. You kept up the hunt, though, and it's paid off, hurrah!

Stina said...

Hi Alisa, I am so glad to hear that everything checked out after your scare. I hope everything is smooth sailing from now on!

I have a dress very similar to yours and I LOVE it! I've worn it in both the fall and spring and with different scarves, cardigans, shoes depending on the event. It really is a perfect dress!

paulsharol said...

glad you had the ckup love the black dress I have several love Aunt Sharol

Brooke said...

Glad you are all clear. And plus, that is a fabulous picture of Voni and Len! Very happy.