Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Have Two Gumbie Cats in Mind

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots;
Her coat is of the tabby kind, with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
All day she sits upon the stair or on the steps or on the mat;
She sits and sits and sits and sits--and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat!


I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots;
Her equal would be hard to find, she likes the warm and sunny spots.
All day she sits beside the hearth or on the bed or on my hat:
She sits and sits and sits and sits--and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat!


I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots;
The curtain-cord she likes to wind, and tie it into sailor-knots.
She sits upon the window-sill, or anything that's smooth and flat:
She sits and sits and sits and sits--and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat!


So for Old Gumbie Cats let us now give three cheers
On whom well-ordered households depend, it appears.

(T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats)

6 comments:

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
I love your cats. Our neighbor came over the other day saying that a stray cat had kittens in their shed and did we want one?
I thought of you :)
I'm still trying to convince Mark that he's not allergic and convince myself that the kids could help me take care of it.
Yeah right.
But, at least I can look at pictures of your cute kitties.

Anonymous said...

So excellent. :) I hadn't noticed the difference in colouring before, but seeing them up close and right together, it's a really cool contrast! They look like they are enjoying flopping and being lazy. Oh, how I would enjoy that myself right now! lol.

Stina said...

Cute that they are getting along so well together. And I meant to tell you: when I was over at your house last week I did not have any allergic reaction at all! So either your Dyson is working wonders or you have figured out a miracle cure for cat-allergic people!

Jenny and Al said...

It was nice of Mr. Eliot to name the kitties in his poem after me. :)

paulsharol said...

love the cats

Unknown said...

rhymes and chimes and cats on mats!