Saturday, July 05, 2008

A God Among Cats

Many people will say that emotion is what separates us from the animals. Sure, they have fight or flight responses; they can feel pain and fear. But complex emotions, those are reserved for the humans and maybe a few of our like-minded mammal buddies, such as dolphins and chimpanzees.

I, however, proudly stake myself with the other crazy pet owners who think our animal companions have the ability to show and process complex emotions. The skeptics say this is merely a form of projection—a need of our pathetic pet-owner lives to see more than what is actually there. Well, let them say it. I just happen to disagree and can vouch for the complex emotions animals express.

Jealousy: Take for instance my cats. When we brought Phoebe home to live with us, I wasn’t surprised that Aja rejected her at first. But what surprised me was how she rejected me. Even though she had little idea of why this kitten appeared in the house, she knew I was trying to make peace between them, and that made me her enemy. We had it out and didn’t really get over it for a few weeks.

Let me even make a further stretch: Empathy. What makes a cat realize that when she wants something—to go outside, to have her litter box changed, to have the floaties removed from her water—that the more pathetic her meow is, the more likely she is to receive attention? She’ll start off whining, but gradually the meows will become elongated, deeper, and more mournful. Why does she doe this? Empathy. She has to know that I want her to be happy. Then she makes her pitiful attempt, so that I will realize how my lack of action is torturing her, so I will obviously remedy the situation. Her ability to feign complete helplessness is an exercise in her emotional awareness.

Yesterday I discovered a new emotion in Phoebe. Everyone knows cats to be an aloof sort of creature. I am their servants, they are the queens. It is a privilege for me to scratch Aja behind the ear, or to twirl a toy for Phoebe. This is one thing they never let me forget, until yesterday morning. I was sitting on the couch, reading, and Phoebe came to grace me with her presence. She sat sitting on the arm of the couch, and, not wanting to make eye contact with me, she stared at the closed blinds covering the window. For a few minutes she sat that way, deeply interested in staring at nothing to avoid my gaze. At that point, I got out of my seat, walked over to the window, and turned the wand on the blinds. A whole universe opened up outside the window. Phoebe stared at amazement at how the view from her couch arm was transformed. She then looked up at me, as if I had not only exposed this new world, but created it myself. She stood amazed, asking with her eyes how I had accomplished this great work. Projection of my own desires? I think not. Since that time, I have been admired as her god.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! :) That's so funny, too. I mean Phoebe's reaction. The goddess Alisa, in charge of all cats. :) Frankly, I've never thought that animals did NOT feel or express more complex emotions. I watch my parents' dog! He can show all sorts of emotion and communicate pretty well without a "human" level of intelligence! I'm right with you on this one.

Stina said...

That's so funny that Poe sits on the same spot on your couch and will look out on nothing until someone opens the blinds. Of course animals are capable of complex (and manipulative) emotions. I wish we could communicate with them better, like whenever I leave I want to explain how long I will be gone and where I am going and why I can't take him with me.

Hillary said...

I think cats communicate pretty well. I always know when I have sat in Katos spot.

Unknown said...

Your cats are lucky to have someone that cares so much and that realizes that they are capable than most people give them credit for. Beautiful!

Shell said...

Although I can't say as to how far cats emotions go to, I have a picture of my cat snarling/sneering at me. It is defiantly a big curl of the lip on one side. It wasn't too long ago that Physicians changed their belief that newborn infants feel pain. Physicians seriously thought they didn't. It will be cool to see if they can extend science to find out how animals think.