Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Simple Thing

Today I found a saving grace in a small thing. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of stress, and today I just needed a break from it all. I went on a walk around the LDS Conference Center to get my heart pumping as I trucked up part of Capitol Hill. And while I was in the middle of power-walking, I saw lamb's ear next to the sidewalk. I never pick flowers out of someone else's garden or even off of the nearby mountains. But, I love lamb's ear and I felt the need to touch it. I reached down to feel it, and then I picked a leaf. I felt a little guilty, but I figured my tithing would more than cover picking one leaf out of a little garden by the Conference Center.

I've kept this leaf with me all day. It's so soft and comforting, like flannel sheets out of the dryer in winter. Thank goodness for the little things.

11 comments:

jana said...

I keep a patch of lamb's ear in my garden because of the delight that it brings my kids. It has dressed CatGirl's little garden fairy dolls (dresses of morning glories and capes of lamb's ear) and has bandaged many a scrape (at some point we read somewhere that it was used as a soft "bandage" for wounds in olden times, so we always use it that way when we're there). You can see a pic here of my daughter's finger in a lamb's ear bandage tied with a sprig of flowering Mexican sage. Isn't it lovely?
:)

Stina said...

I am not surprised that a piece of nature is what soothed you in a time of stress. (And I love your justification on your tithing covering the picking of one leaf. :))

paulsharol said...

glad it soothed you nature has a great way of healing

Hillary said...

I love lambs ears, and have a hard time walking by it and not touching it.

Alisa said...

Jana, that phot is so cute!

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
I'm sorry you're having a stressful time. But, I'm glad that the leaf helped.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

You should grow some Lamb's Ear. It grows easily. You might enjoy having it around your house.

Unknown said...

Alisa, I know you've been stressed out and I know you know how to deal with it...walking and nature, works for me every time too. I think it's because I get everyone else out of my head and see the beauty of the earth and therefore the beauty of God.

You've been a real inspiration to me lately, especially in your area of poetry, I have never had the guts to post a poem, but since you did, I decided I could be brave too.

You're wonderful my friend! When can we hang out again?

Alisa said...

Thank you, D'Arcy! I am dumbfounded by the poem you posted. You have a great way with creative words that really *sound* amazing together. It's a great thing I'll have to focus on more!

Let's hang out this week!

Shell said...

Sorry you're stressed. I don't think anyone will ever notice the missing leaf :) Hope you do well and feel better soon.

LuckyMatt said...

We have the stuff growing out of control in our front yard. Next time you come over, maybe you can take a start home with you.