My childhood was surrounded by bark, leaves, and acorns. My backyard was home to a tall stand of wild oak trees. This small grove hovered above my park-issue swing set, and I could almost touch the branches with my feet when I swang high. The oaks had a nailed-in ladder to a high platform that served as my tree house, and later my dad added another, lower tier so that I had a proper second story.
In autumn the leaves came down in abundance. The ones that fell over the lawn were swept into heaping piles, but the majority of the leaves were left to provide a floor for the mini-forest that was replenished and re-layered with every cold season.
Around this oak patch and up in my tree fort, I engaged in the kind of unstructured imaginative play that doesn’t come from Barbie dolls or watching cartoons. I was an orphan like the Boxcar Children, surviving in the forest, Mowgli in the rain forest, and even a creator of vast worlds. I would invite (which usually meant I would carry) my cats up to the fortress and make them my subjects while I barked orders and they lazily rolled over in the spotty shade. It was the kind of place I could bring my friends or attend alone, but it always proved to be an open, freedom-filling space.
Down below the tree dropped hundreds of acorns. These were my earliest experiences with seeds, which are the metaphors for our growth, our spirituality, our human stories of life and regeneration. I wanted to understand how something the size of a fingertip could grow into the massive organic structure that held my two-story fortress, shaded my yard, and provided enough of a large forest for me to get lost in imagination. Occasionally I found the decomposing ones, which were pliable and allowed me to peel down to the heart of the nut in an attempt to uncover the magic of their potential treehood. The cupules would detach freely and make perfect fingertip covers, tea cups for grasshopper tea parties, or small shovels for miniature construction sites. Now when I see an acorn still attached to the tree, I can't help but think of those cup-shaped cupules and how I used to collect those perfect half-spherical shells.
I never ate the acorns despite knowing that they fed birds and other animals, not to mention the Native Americans that were able to store them up fresh for months—even years—at a time without processing them. I think that’s what makes the acorn somewhat unique: they are an early, natural hand-me-down source that doesn’t need immediate modification to be used at a later time. Like the acorns, my playtimes in the wild oak tree patch were ones that preserved themselves well, stored up raw in the reserves of memory, to draw upon when the simple times have all but diminished. I can barely recall those times of processed, commercialized play with heavily-branded merchandise. Instead these unstructured, natural experiences are the ones that last for years in their pure form, a harvest I can draw upon when new production of unstructured imaginative experiences are harder to come by.

12 comments:
I like how you make me think of Fall in this post... Acorns and Fall. :)
Woods are the best place to grow up. Real stands of trees are one of those things I miss about Minnesota, especially in the fall.
I was reading in a book recently about how you can make flour from acorns and cook with it. You should try it.
This is so beautiful. I could picture you in your tree, and relate to your feelings of having somewhere to imagine and dream. It took me back to my childhood. The tree forts I use to play in by my house, and how sad I was when houses started being constructed in our beloved forests. I think every child should have the opportunity to live in nature.
I loved reading your reflections on your childhood and imagining you up in that tree with your cats. You should build a platform in your big tree in your backyard!
venison with acorns is awesome and yes you can roast them
Alisa,
Such beautifully composed memories of the good old days (can I say that now?!) Your childhood echoes mine even down to the Boxcar Children orphan reenactment. My childhood was simple. The big backyard, the swing set, the tire swing, the mountains, the leaves, the nuts, I had a cool set of wood blocks and some dolls and that was it. I remember once we got a lite brite and that was the epitome of technology.
i hope to give my nieces and nephews and children this same zest and love of nature.
Thanks everyone for your comments.
D'Arcy, I totally remember Lite Brite. I didn't have one, but thought those were so cool. We did have an Atari 2600, as I think I've mentioned before. :)
Oh yeah, fall. I keep forgetting about that down here in San Diego.
And the Boxcar Children! I remember those books! and good old mogli and baloo the bear! Jungle Book rocks!!
I loved reading the box car children too! And I actually did eat acorns when I was little, they made me sick occasionally :) I loved playing in the woods by my house, although I'd have to say our definitions of woods probably varies. Growing up in heavily wooded areas still makes me think that Utah is sadly lacking in them.
I didn't have cool trees and frests in my yard, but I remember dreaming on my trampoline watching the clouds morph above me.
Thanks for the lovely memories.
What a great essay, Alisa. You captured the simplicity of imaginative childhood play very well. Nicely done!
That's a very beautiful post, Alisa.
Thanks for explaining why nature is such a great teacher.
If only I could get an oak tree in my backyard. . .
Hmmm
Post a Comment