Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rocky Mountain High


A lot of my out-of-state students tell me how ugly Utah is. Sometimes I see what they mean. You know, the freeways. I'm always surprised when I drive somewhere and there's not a bunch of tumbleweed growing in the median. In some states, flowers grow there instead!

I encourage these students to look up at our mountains. They are impressive. They are gorgeous. And you can't beet the sunsets over the Great Salt Lake.

Lately I have been almost giddy with being outside. I broke my body weeding my gardens over the weekend, but I guess the strenuous nature of the work paid off, as I'm now jogging my route like I'm gliding through the evening air. Being outside in the freshness of spring, looking at the sunset burning toward the east mountains, I am amazed at the beauty of my Utah home.

Then I enter my yard, full of native and other wild-ish plants that I love. Shunning annuals, Kevin and I focused on water-wise perennials that bloom or are known for an attractive aroma (mint - tons of different mint - oregano, sages, thyme, lavender, lamb's ear, and rosemary). It's so encouraging to see things come back 2, 3, or 4 times bigger than they were a year ago.

Now it's dark. Touching back to reality. On to grading papers.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Sunshine. And the mountains are turning green. Trees. But not 24 hours a day 7 days a week 2 years long rain... I'm LOVING being home, you know that? Who'd ever have guessed I'd be saying that about Utah? :) :)

paulsharol said...

Utah would blossom like a rose said Brigeman Young and its true