Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Traveler

I'm excited to share my new poem here. I know it's a little nerdy to say the things I'm saying this way, and it's on the scientific and theological side. You just can't take the physicist out of the philosopher, and it's the best way I can convey my wonder at this new event in my life.

Nearing the end of my third decade
a new legacy, new magnum opus found me
So I decided on space travel

I'm building a capsule
complete with lifeline
Organic material, grounded and earthy
ignites this odyssey
It was at first a microscopic endeavor
a saline primordial sea -- the same soup
that broke in life upon this planet

My mission is not to discover life
but to invite it
Nothing less than a miracle, a lightning strike
an other, an infinite number of experiences and thoughts
an eternity of potential that I cannot own, nor will I try

And safely, under my skin, beneath this marked veil
my comfort capsule expands in space from minuscule detection
grows so large it will not be ignored
And faster than the speed of light,
as swift as thought, arriving from how far off
the space-traveler comes to this vessel
full and dark, with a flowing supply of oxygen
My song-sound is heard within
its soft, stretching walls

The messenger,
not so much of divinity elsewhere
but inside, fostering the ontology of all I am
without confinement or constraint:
I am Infinite. I am the Universe.

Inside cells divide
each knowing its work
Within the membrane
organelles dance with DNA and RNA
the ribosomal protein play
extending in atoms, electrons, quarks
Photons dance like stars
in the spinning sea of space

24 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh my LIFE!!! Super news! I just emailed you. Forgive all the exclamation points. Sometimes I regress to elementary school.

Four Winns said...

I've gotta say, I was close to tearing up when I saw the picture. I'm so happy for you and I hope everything goes perfectly. Congratulations and good luck!

Michael said...

Congrats!!! we are excited for this new adventure!!

You are talking about space travel, right? I can't believe you were selected for the next Apollo mission to commemorate the moon landing!! That is amazing!

Bored in Vernal said...

Alisa, How very exciting!!!!!! Glad to see your FB link is working, and glad I found your blog just in time for this news. So cool.

Chelle said...

Very cool! Not nerdy at all. Congratulations, I am so excited for you!

Tracy said...

I'm glad I got the see the picture. Hillary was telling me about it and I was jealous. Congrats guys!

EmilyCC said...

This is the BEST pregnancy announcement I've read on a blog. Congratulations!

Stina said...

This is the perfect Alisa way to announce your great news. We are so thrilled for you and Kevin and I love seeing the u/s picture! S/he looks so cute already! We can't wait for January!!!

Melody said...

Congratulations! We're excited for you guys! Are you due in January?

Margaret said...

Felicidades, Alisa! Nate and I are so excited for you! We wish you guys the best and hope that you are feeling good!

Stacy said...

What lovely news. I can't wait to see you and get all the details.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Wow, how wonderful for you two. I'm very happy for your family, that is so exciting. Just be ready for this next adventure!

Jenny and Al said...

What a cool poem and ultrasound picture!! I bet it was totally cool to see the ultrasound! Congratulations, sis!!

Rachel said...

Congratulation! Major points for the creative announcement.

Christy Edgel said...

Congratulations! Such a gift and blessing! I am very happy for you:)

Laura said...

Congrats!!! That's so exciting! When do you find out if it's a girl or boy(if you are going to find out)?

Raderstorf Family said...

Congratulations. Sending love and wish you only the best during this time.

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
I hope that you will start a memory book for this little baby. Make sure you include this poem. It is beautiful and so sacred. I love the allusions and imagery.

Thank you for sharing the poem and your news.
I am thrilled for you and Kevin and look forward to meeting your baby. May you have a calm and easy pregnancy.

LuckyMatt said...

Alisa, that is a fabulous poem, and I love it. You captured some nice thoughts in there and I agree with all of them. Your little space traveller is looking cute.

Hillary said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you and Kevin.

Shell said...

I think your poem was fabulous! Great shot of the little one.

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful poem. It gives word to my feelings much more than your comment about X Files some 9 years ago!

the other Brooke (from Ex2) said...

Alisa, I *love* your poem. I'm so happy that you shared it. And I'm so happy for you in beginning the journey of parenthood. That is just SUPER!

Gav said...

congrats