I love teaching my night class. Interacting with students is far more rewarding than staring at a computer screen superimposed on gray cubicle walls. But at times it can get to be a little much, with the time commitment and the grading. These summer months I've been teaching six credit hours (two three-hour classes) in addition to my full-time work. It can be difficult to postpone my after-work routine for hours and make sure I get the grading done quickly.
Which is why I am so grateful for the parts of my day built around decompressing and relaxing. Like watering my flowerbeds. I should put in drip lines, but the manual nourishing of my garden is so soothing and natural. Same thing when I interact with those two rascal cats of mine. Or go on a jog, or a long walk with Kevin. Or eat dinner on the patio on our bistro table. Or watch the bees at work on our coneflowers and hollyhocks.
Yes, hollyhocks have bloomed this year. My brother tells me that this is the second year growth, so they must have appeared last year and I was too lazy - or too busy - to pull out these "weeds." And I am so delighted now that these naturally-springing whimsical stalks are beginning to bloom. Something about that makes me set aside all obligations, and stand quietly in the suspended moment awhile longer.

4 comments:
Love the moments where you can just relax and live and experience. You need to do that more often! Don't work yourself too hard!
Whew!
I saw the title and then you began about teaching at BYU and I thought you were suspended from teaching!
So glad that you're not. :)
The hollyhocks are beautiful. I'm trying to make it up to Sunstone and I'd love to see you (and your rascal cats, Kevin, and of course your garden). So much to catch up on!
I need more of these moments in my life...
Those are a pretty variety of hollyhocks, too. Lucky!
Post a Comment