Monday, March 03, 2008

Interior Design Week: Cats and Vases

I don't think I've bought cat-shaped decor since I was a little girl. It just seemed so old lady-ish to me (the older woman we bought our house from had these stuffed animals of cats lying around her home in the online pictures--so strange). But when I was at the import store, I knew that these soapstone figures from Kenya were right for me. I liked their different patterns and colors. And they're just funky. I like that. Like they're doing a groovy dance or something.


I'm placing these on the new shelving we have in our bedroom. I also wanted some polished sandstone to put up there with our cats and some nature pictures we've taken, but finding the right decorative rock is turning out to be a harder process. In desperation, I picked up these two vases at the English Garden at the Salt Lake City Library. I like their vibrant colors, and I think they can do until I find some worthy replacement.


There's still more to come for design week. I am on the road for business, but I'll get back as soon as I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee! Those cats are great. They totally look like they've just dropped down out of trees on the last-frontier continent. I keep expecting them to start boogying for some reason. Chicago again, or SD this time?

Hillary said...

I love the cats!

Stina said...

I think if you're going to have any kind of cat decor in your house, those would have to be the ones! They look great and I can imagine the colors look really good with your furniture and new bedding set.

Mindy Heywood said...

Alisa, I love these. Very cool. Did they have anything like that using dogs?

Alisa said...

Mindy, I didn't see anything with dogs. They had canoes... but these were the only animals.

Heidi, it was Chicago, as usual. Although it's Grand Rapids next week, so I get to add another state visited to my list!