For about two months I've been breaking a favorite habit of mine: public radio. I can't stand to listen to the obsessive reporting on the financial crisis. Although I've been listening regularly for eight years now, I find that the last thing I want to wake up to is news of more helpless people everywhere, everyday. Seriously. I've had enough.
This leaves a big gap in my life. What do I use in the mornings to wake me up and accompany my morning routine? What about my 20-30 minute commute each way to work?
I've taken refuge in my iPod, especially since my commuting car has an iPod hookup. Thanks to several generous iTunes gifts we received for Christmas, I've found great refuge in music and audiobooks, and I've discovered they leave me in a much better mood than our current news.
Here are some of the artists or bands I've newly found in my search for distraction from depressing news:
- Fleet Foxes
- Regina Spektor
- The Killers
- Ingrid Michaelson
- The Shins
- Vashti Bunyan
- Faded Paper Figures
- Swell Season/The Frames
OK, so nothing too shocking on the list, but I'm going for escape and not the deepest, weirdest cuts. Anything else I should add for a happy distraction?

9 comments:
I've been listening to David Sedaris' new book while I nurse Theo. So funny and I love his reading of it.
A book would be great!
I just finished The Last Lecture and I really liked it.
In fact, our book group is doing an overnight at a cabin for this month.
WooHoo!
also, I agree that NPR is too depressing. I haven't been listening that much either, but mine is tied to how much I'm in the car and it hasn't been much lately.
I agree with the book comment. I love listening to books on the road. The time just flies by. As for music, there are way too many options out there. If possible, try to gather a bunch of music from everyone you know. I am constantly listening to new stuff, some of it horrid, but the many gems make it worth it. It's always cool to be exposed to new stuff, right? Current Favorite: Asteroid Galaxy Tour.
Good list my friend (I've had to take a break from the news radio as well).
Lenka
Alexi Murdoch
Joshua Radin
Patrick Watson
Casados (their song Panama is on repeat with me!!)
Carla Bruni
Boy Least Likely To
Emiliana Torrini
and hundreds of others, but that's good for now. You should come and make a CD at my house sometime, I'll hook you up!
music calms the soul epecially Sinatra or some other goog singers
Hmm. Am I behind the times or what - the only group I recognise on there is the Killers. Did you know the lead singer is LDS? lol
Although I don't consider myself a devout fan of Island and Reggae music, I do find it relaxing and cheerful.
Most news radio is just tripe anyway. I try to listen to the headlines for about five minutes of my 25-minute commute to sort of try to stay aware of what some of the big stories are so I can do more in-depth reading online if I want.
I suppose I will have to politely disagree with everyone else who has commented on this post. I am a dedicated fan of marketplace on NPR. What can I say? Kai Ryssdal is the man. Who else can make sense of collatoralized debt obligations and exchange traded funds? Truly fascinating and entertaining. I can definitely do without Fresh Air. And Diane Rehm tends to get on my nerves. Luckily, in addition to their main broadcast show, marketplace also has a morning report and a weekend show. You can listen to it practically anytime of the day! We are so blessed!
Post a Comment