Saturday, March 28, 2009

Up for some good Kheer?

For the last two months, I have been loving Indian food. There is a wonderful Indian restaurant called Ganesh Indian Cuisine that makes food that has me craving it all the time. So much, in fact, that I try to find substitutes for delicious curry anywhere I go: Thai restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants, my own crockpot, you get the idea.

I blame my obsession not only on the delicious yellow curries and marsalas, pistachio ice cream, rice puddings, and various fried puffed things. I think it has to do with the books I read. The Afghani books The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns put me to craving naan, which sent me back to Ganesh to begin with. And now I've been reading two Indian-American books, Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth. As my imagination dives into the Indian culture, I guess my taste buds can't get enough of India either.

9 comments:

stina said...

As you know, we love Indian food too. We are up for joining you anytime!

Hillary said...

I have only tried indian food twice and I was dissapointed both times. I think I just don't know the right things to order though, because I know a lot of people who love it. I will have to get some suggestions from you and try it again.

T. McArthur said...

I went to a great restaurant (I think it was Thai or Vietnamise) just east of 4500 south and Highland. I think it used to be a Pizza hut years ago and by the former cottonwood mall. Excellent rice, noodles, soup.

Also, a great place was near 14th and State St. I think it is or was called Po's.

Heidi said...

Korma is my favourite. And garlic and coriander naan. Popadums are yummy too. And Chiapattis. My sis-in-law said that Target sells decent naan... I wonder if they sell korma sauce, too. I'm going to have to look one of these days!
Man, I miss Indian food...

Gav said...

I gotta be honest. I don't quite get the whole "Reading a book is making me crave indian food" gig. Sounds odd to me. I haven't had much Indian food until within the last year. I don't typically like Indian curry because they are pretty hot and I am a wuss. Most Thai places use coconut milk in their curry which makes them sweet. I love Thai food, the variety of rice noodles with various other oriental flavors are very subtle and unique compared to the strong flavors of India.

paulsharol said...

the curry is good if you like it hot the Thais also like there food hot our nephew who lives in Ca took us to a Thai res and Indie rest very good Paul & Sharol

Brooke said...

I've only been to 2 Indian resturants and I enjoyed both of them. Matt doesn't love them though, and I don't like it to hot. Oh, and one of the restaurants was in Hawaii. I really need to get back to that one!

Heidi said...

For all you folks out there that think Indian food is hot, I recommend the kormas. They are SUPER mild, and are often made with coconut milk, so are a little sweet. They are just tasty. You might have to travel to England to experience the real thing, though. Much closer than India. :)

Melody said...

Bombay House is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. I've missed it ever since we moved away...