Friday, March 06, 2009

Generosity of Spirit

Today has been a peaceful one, and I've been reflecting on some of my most satisfying friendships. Despite all the crummy things in life there are to complain about, I realize that I've always had good friends. At each difficult turn in life, there has been at least one person who amazes me in his or her capacity to reach out and make a profound impact in my life.

These people are positive, insightful, and seek out the well-being of others. They have responsibility down to an art.

On a blog a few months ago, I read a teacher's description of students who have "generosity of spirit:"

She explained that there are often students in her classes who are not only smart and intellectually curious, but who also have a knack for stepping back and letting other students shine, who are willing to really listen to their classmates and respond to their ideas and concerns, and who approach their own work and fellow students with a certain kind of acceptance and understanding.

While I think this characteristic is great for the classroom, I think it's even greater for life. And these are some of my friends, who have let me and others shine. This post is for them, for you, for what you do. And for me, as I am learning from you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have friends like that.

Unknown said...

You are a friend like that in my life.

paulsharol said...

good friends are hard to find a couple should be best friend with each other

Stina said...

Great reminder and I love the thought of being "generous" with our spirits.

momomom said...

How insightful, Alisa.