When Kevin and I are driving, we sometimes like to ask each other hypothetical questions. The one that’s been on my mind lately is, If you were to be reincarnated, what animal would you choose?
Here’s some criteria that makes sense to me:
1. Assume gender stays the same
2. Assume that you have no choice over geographical placement (in other words, you may be born in the wild, a zoo, etc.)
My first response was to be a cat because, hey, Aja and Phoebe have it pretty good in my home. But then I got to thinking about all the abused cats in the world. A cat can’t even defend herself very well against a determined five-year-old child. And that’s if you even get a home.
I then started thinking that the following were important factors in my decision:
1. I’d like to be at the top of the food chain
2. I’d like to not have to be a predator who is always striving for the next meal
3. I’d like to have a high chance of making it to adulthood
4. I’d like to have plentiful food sources, allowing for occasional recreation
5. I don’t like the water, so marine life is completely out
So given the above, I’ve made the decision that I’d like to be an elephant or a bear. I’d be an African elephant because they’re smart, social, get to eat a lot, and they take long walks.
I’d be a bear because they always seem to be recreating in the woods and meadows, plus they are so cute. I’d even be a big, fat polar bear. I bet they don't even get to feel the cold.
What about you?



10 comments:
Fun post! I didn't know you didn't like the water. I love the water but I don't know if I would want to be limited to just the water (and then couldn't choose if I was in a lake, pond, someone's aquarium, or the depths of the ocean). I know I wouldn't want to be an emperor penguin, having watched "March of the Penguins" and seeing what they went through.
It is a hard choice b/c of the criteria you set up, but I would like to think that some of the karma for how well we treat our domesticated dog would help me be reincarnated into a household pet in a comfortable home. Poe has it pretty good.
I would have to not pick Polar Bear or Elephant, because both are in trouble these days. The elephant is still hunted for its ivory tusks, and the polar bear is on the verge of being listed on the endangered species list due to global warming. They're drowning.
I think I would like to be a Panda. Panda's are loved all over the world, and all they do is sit around, play, and eat bamboo. And now Panda's are protected in China and in zoos. Plus, I would get to be a baby panda.
Since water isn't an issue for me, I choose either a dolphin or an otter. Both seem to enjoy life.
A wolf, definitely. Probably arctic. Or if not arctic, at least the kind that live far enough north to turn white in the winter. :) And far enough north that not too many people come after you very often. Beautiful, shy, and free...
I think a tortoise (Galapagos or Desert) would be a good choice. Pleasant slow-paced life, plenty of sun, and few predators or hunters. The only major downside is if a grass fire comes your way.
I would be a Buddy. They definitely get the best treatment.
I would be something that flies and is also at the top of the food chain. Like a Pterodactyl.
Hmmm. I'm not sure Jenny and Matt are following the rules with wanting to be a baby human or an extinct animal. I'm leaning towards Dave's idea of the panda. Especially considering gender doesn't change. I've been to the San Diego Zoo, and the female panda lives it up.
Whatever I would choose I would want to look exotic since I was blessed with such ordinary looks in this life. I think a parrot could be fun because I could still speak...which I love to do!... but are only the boys colorful? Maybe a Kangaroo--then I'd get a cool pouch to carry things in. Plus, I'd finally be able to perfect my Aussie accent!
On second thought, maybe I'll come back as a bowl of preserved oatmeal.
Post a Comment