Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ancestral Picture


I dreamt last night of
the home of my childhood friend
whose mother told me she learned of my father and
illness
a pained, remorseful face
not quite connecting in the eyes

today: two dings, two clicks
two messages
how sorry she was to learn of
illness
from her mother

another friend, backpacking
withstood rain, cliffs, wind,
a waist too small to support her pack
gave birth - fourth child, first boy
while I was moving backward
to the place we had slept after that storm

elegant portrait from the past
face of my father, but soft
face I never knew that gave birth to
another face I never knew
from which he sprang
a realization of what grows
out of such eyes and cheekbones
a face my children may know

10 comments:

Jenny and Al said...

Wow. Nicely written. And I understood the people whom you were talking about! Where did you get the photo?

Alisa said...

Matt found it on ancestry.com. Cool, huh?

paulsharol said...

wonder who she was very bautiful

Christy Edgel said...

Alisa, that is beautiful- the picture, too! I'm glad you posted the pic- I don't have it, and now I do!!! I'm sorry to hear about your dad. All I know is that it's back. What are the drs saying?

Heidi said...

I love your gift. It truly is one.

LuckyMatt said...

Very nice thoughts, Sis. I enjoyed it.

Stina said...

beautiful poem. I love reading your poetry!

Mom said...

Thank you for yur beautiful poem. I, too, knew just who you were talking about. You are so right about the striking family resemblance. You are a beautiful writer. I love your posts. Thank you for yur incredible support. I love you.

Brooke said...

Alisa, you really are a beautiful poet (-ess).

Wikipedia just told me that in Ireland that is not such a good thing! Who knew.

T. McArthur said...

Kind of has some of your features. Or am I just imagining it?