Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Sing"

At work, people were posting a list of their first favorite songs, and as someone posted this one by the Carpenters, a gush of memories came over me. My parents love the Carpenters, and Karen's voice was one of the first outside my family that could make me jump when I heard her.

Yes, the song is camp in the over exaggeration sense of the word. But as I look to the lyrics, I think of those, like my Dad, who have lived their life to sing, simplify, and make everything last for as long for as their life does. And what a celebration of life this song is.


Sing, sing a song

Sing out loud

Sing out strong

Sing of good things not bad

Sing of happy not sad



Sing, sing a song

Make it simple to last

Your whole life long

Don’t worry that it’s not

Good enough for anyone

Else to hear

Just sing, sing a song

"Sing" is a song from my childhood that's accompanied me these near 30 years - in a way it's become a mantra for my life. My mom used to sing this to me and my sister when she tucked us in at night, and I'm sure the song's messages sunk deep into my unconscious mind.

I loved seeing this some of my first TV friends, Bob, Luis, and Susan, on this video, where I first learned to love this song.

Can you believe how far Sesame Street has come? I doubt nowadays they'd allow the kid in the center of the shot to pick his nose (:44), or come belting in on Luis' solo. And to pull it all off with a tire swing, Luis' guitar, some distracted kids, and no muppets. It's simple. It's great.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, I love that song!! I learned it in an elementary school choir. I'm glad you put it on here today. :) I had lots of fun on Saturday, by the way - changed plans because of the weather, but it was still super fun. If anything else happens, I'll let you know. lol

Hillary said...

Ah, the memories. That is a great song.

I think they still sing it on Sesame Street. I haven't watched it in a while, but I know they were still singing it when Emily was little. Minus the boy covering his ear and picking his nose.

I guess the good ones never die.

Stina said...

Love this song too! I could hear the melody instantly when I saw the lyrics on your post. Isn't it funny how you can subconsciously cling to certain sounds/smells that resurface at the most surprising times?

Chelle said...

Can I just say ditto? I grew up listening to the Carpenters too, they always take me back to childhood and are somehow comforting, love that cheesy song. Also, I love the old school Sesame Street. I think that's one of the reasons I loved Harlem and felt comfortable here, that's where Sesame Street started out, though I didn't realize that for a long time.

Christy Edgel said...

I LOVE Karen Carpenter. Her voice is one of those that melts my heart when I hear it. I had a record (yes, a record) with that song on it- it was always one of my favorites, too! Jesse and I often break out into one of the Carpenter songs. Thanks for the happy memory!

Mom said...

I loved your post, Alisa!

EmilyCC said...

I forgot that this is the Luis I grew up with. Now, I'm used to seeing him as the old man my kids see every morning.

This is such a profound song--thanks for the reminder.

paulsharol said...

sing happy songs are fun

Melody said...

Love that song-my mom also used to sing it to my sisters and I when we were younger. I loved Sesame Street too-that brings back a lot of memories.