It's been a hard day, but I am comforted by the beauty I saw on my walk around Temple Square. I picked another leaf of lamb's ear, noticed the cherry blossoms, and saw a bird's nest. These are some Temple Square tulips. And as I walked the gardens in the rain, I listened to this:
As the ruby in the setting,
As the honey in the comb,
As the light within the lantern,
As the father in the home,
As the eagle in the mountain,
As the sparrow in the nest,
So, Lord, art Thou to me.
- Johannes Tauler (1300-1361)
This is one of my dad's favorite hymns, and it has been memorable to sing this in church with my family. The line comparing God to "the father in the home" has always resonated with me. There's a special feeling when my dad is in the same room as I am, and I love his conversation, insights, and yes, corny jokes.
My dad recently got some serious health news. I want to preserve his privacy and not get too detailed, but I thought I'd let you know so you can send all your warm thoughts and good energy his way. I remember so many of you pulled together for him 4.5 years ago when he first got sick and helped make miracles happen. I also know the power of community.


8 comments:
What a beautiful picture - thank you for posting it and for the beautiful words.
May your father be blessed with patience and strength for whatever may come.
Alisa,
I am so sorry to hear about your hard day and your father's news.
Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I love the photo of tulips.
I miss the tulips in Utah nearly as much as I miss you.
Much love-Jess
Our thoughts and prayers are with your dad and with you and Kevin as you go through this crisis. I'm glad you can take comfort in the arrival of spring and beauty surrounding us.
Oh, 'Lis, I'm so sorry. I hope and pray everything will be all right somehow.
I'm sorry about your dad. My prayers are with you. It is so hard when a parent has health problems. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
I'm so sorry things are rough now, I hope you and your family are doing okay. My thoughts are with you.
Alisa, so many people love you and by extension, your father. I don't even know him, but because of the person that you are, I feel connected to him. I have been sending so many warm thoughts of love and kindness and blessings to you and your family this week. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
hope your dad is doing better the color of spring always brings renewal
Post a Comment