Tuesday, June 09, 2009

For MaeLynn, My Friend

I had a post scheduled for today on Disney Pixar movies, but it just doesn't seem appropriate in light of some news I received this hour. My dear, wonderful friend MaeLynn has been diagnosed with terminal neuroendocrine cancer. I don't know the details yet, but I think that the cancer is slow growing, even though I understand she's in stage 4. Unfortunately, she's been in pain since October, and only now do they realize the cause.

MaeLynn and I learned to tie our shoelaces together. We attended the same preschool. I taught her how to make forts out of blankets in her basement, and she taught me about being in tune with people's emotions and sensitivities. Just a few weeks ago, she called me to ask about my dad's terminal cancer, and she was so supportive, which she always is.

MaeLynn rejoices in life. She had five kids in five years, and her oldest is just about seven now. Although she struggled physically with severe scoliosis and pediatric back surgery, she shows amazing strength, giving birth naturally to her babies. When we last spoke, she told me how comfortable she now feels in her body.

I'd just like to take a moment to pause to pray for MaeLynn and give her and her large family the support they need. You can see her cousin's blog about Mae's cancer here.

12 comments:

Stina said...

I'm so sad to hear this horrible news. I feel heartbroken for her five children and family. I'm sure you will be a great support to her.

Heidi said...

Oh, Lis. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I really am. I look back on experiences and it always seems that once one thing happens, everywhere I look, more of my friends are struggling with the same thing, or their family members are, or something. It just seems so HARD sometimes. And heartbreaking.

Rachel said...

This is so sad. Really there aren't adequate words to summarize my thoughts. It make me realize the importance of embracing each day.

Nate said...

I don't even know how to react to this news. I can still remember the first time I met MaeLynn. Health class the first day of high school. There are very few people in my life whose meeting has left that kind of lasting impression. My heart goes out to Mae, her family, and friends. I hate cancer, and I can't believe something so ugly is growing inside someone so beautiful as MaeLynn. God bless her.

DowdleFam said...

That was a great post. It is exactly how I felt when I first heard.

Jessica Steed said...

Oh, Alisa!
I remember meeting MaeLynn. She is so fun and exciting. I can't believe the news. I wish her and her family the best as they come to terms with this devastating prognosis.

Mom said...

Alisa, I am just sick. What terrible news. MaeLynn is such a sweetheart in every way and has been a dear friend to you for your entire life. Please call tonight if you want to talk. I want to get her address, too. I know this is devastating to you. I'm so sorry. Dad and I just knelt and prayed for MaeLynn and her family and Jerry and Marie. Wow, I can't believe it.

Jenny and Al said...

Wow. I'm so sorry for MaeLynn. Cancer is always tragic, but it seems more so when it is inside somebody young with young children. I will start praying for her.

Hillary said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I do not know her, but I know how hard it is to loose a close friend so young. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

How could this happen to someone as perfect as MaeLynn? I can't even think, let alone read through the tears.
MaeLynn is one of the nicest people I know.
This horrific disease has taken too many people I know and love. I will be praying for her and her family and all those touched by her wonderful soul.

Brooke said...

Oh, Alisa, I'm so sorry. We'll offer our prayers as well.

paulsharol said...

surley this is hard as a friend giSharolve her support and love Paul &